Sunday, December 5, 2010

10 Weeks 10 Languages

They say that learning programming is about learning ideas and abstractions, then using a language to execute them. Therefore, a class is a class and a function is a function, on and on. Considering i've beeen programming for a considerable amount of time (started when I was about 8 years old) I think it is time I try something new and branch out! I've mainly been focused on C++ and some assembly most of my teenage years and now that I have a job as a .NET developer I mainly use C#. I never really branched out from those even though there is a whole wide world of languages out there that I might really enjoy.

And so, I will take it upon myself to get a brief glimpse of 10 languages over the next 10 weeks. 1 week with a language is not necessarily a lot of time, obviously, but it'll allow me to sift through and find several I think I can enjoy progressing further with. I don't have many "large" projects at home - with attending college full time and working full time professionally - I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to hobby projects. I wish I did!

The schedule is looking like this:
Week 1: Python
Week 2: Javascript (I work with it already but i'd like to really take a deep look at it)
Week 3: Perl
Week 4: Java
Week 5: PHP
Week 6: Ruby
Week 7: F#
Week 8: Go
Week 9: Scheme
Week 10: OCaml

Obviously towards the end of the list there are more "academic" languages than actual ones typically used in a business. This is to give me some perspective and insight. Any other ideas for languages are welcome!

No comments: