Sunday, January 9, 2011

Programming Update

So, as is my usual custom I forget to blog my progress. I stopped working on Python and have moved onto Javascript and I have practically fallen in love. Back when I first started learning web-oriented development (when I was about 8 years old - back in the 90's) I got an impression that Javascript was a "toy" language - used for cool effects and stuff but nothing more. I moved on to systems languages (C++ and asm) and basically forgot about web stuff. The impression lingered on though and when I started my current internship at Ryder and found out I would be working with Javascript I kind of thought "oh poo a boring language." This lingered for awhile until I started taking a closer look at it. Now I can honestly say that I love javascript - more than any other language i've used so far.

I heavily use jQuery to do DOM manipulation and am in the process of converting myself over to use jQuery's AJAX support versus using Microsoft's AJAX library (which is what I have been using up till now). I'm also looking into both Knockout.js and Node.js which are both freaking awesome so far. It seems like I am taking a stepping away from Microsoft's technologies and moving more towards open source software.

A coworker and I have started a small business on the side and we are currently working away for our first client. I will be doing all of the UI design for this project and right now I have Photoshop fired up and am diligently working away! I will attempt to post more, but I would rather have this blog used more for code snippets and/or ideas - of which I have nothing significant at the moment.

No comments: